Monday, November 22, 2021

Wheels and Brakes

Today, I finished up the brake system. I had to safety tie the floating Beringer disc brake to the wheel. It's a pretty straight forward task. Before accomplishing this I had to align the disc to the wheel so the disc protrusions lined in the smaller cutouts around the wheel. Once that was done I cut a piece of .041 safety wire to wrap around the outer edge of the wheel and pushed it into the little slots. Then I spun it to tighten it all the way around. This captures the disc but allows it to float with the wheel.


Next, I tightened the wheel nut to spec (18 ft lbs) and then added the required cotter key.


Finally, I pressure bled the brakes adding Radcolube FR257 full synthetic fire resistant hydraulic fluid. It's harder to come by but this has a much higher working temp than the usual MIL-PRF-5606 Hydraulic fluid used in GA aircraft.

There were only a couple of minor leaks, one at the reservoir and at the crossover under the fuselage at the landing gear attach point. Once I got those tightened up, I filled the reservoir 1/2 way to leave it over night to recheck for leaks tomorrow.