Monday, October 25, 2021

Radiator / Oil Cooler

The plan is to add an oil cooler in front of the radiator. So, while looking at some pics of others installations of the radiator/oil cooler and noticed my radiator was hanging lower. So I decided to flip my bracket which required some modifications, and raised it up to match the others installations. I trimmed the bracket depth which moved the outputs closer to the firewall. I also discovered the outlets were 1.25" rather than 1" so I am having new outlets welded on. This gives me the chance to re-clock the outlets to better line up with the actual hose positions.

The old position

The new position. Besides some of the coolant hoses, you can see the temporary installation of the exhaust tube coming out of the back of the turbo housing. I still have quite a bit of work to do on the exhaust system.


This 90 degree radiator tube will be re-clocked up to not quite vertical to mate with the hose.

This tube will also be re-clocked a few degrees towards the middle, again to mate up better with the hose.


So, a new radiator bracket will be made, probably out of steel as it will perform double duty as a muffler mount as well. I will be running a motorcycle muffler across the back of the radiator with the exit on the passenger side. I'm waiting for the muffler to arrive by the end of next week. Then the exhaust system can be mocked up and fitted.