Thursday, October 14, 2021

Fuel System

After a long hiatus for various reasons, I'm back to work on the plane. A final push to get it completed is underway. Over the past week I accomplished several things.

I began completing the fuel system today. I needed to make up several new hoses for the header tanks and complete the fuel drain system. I tightened up the bulkhead fittings for the fuel drain then installed the exterior drain plugs then the interior AN-6 to NPT nipples. 

 I still need to seal up around the bulkhead fittings on the outside.

First, I made up the short supply lines and then the fuel drain lines.


Next was to make a new 180 degree hard line to run from the fuel filter to the fuel filter. I needed a new one because I added a small check valve in between them. This is to stop the fuel from flowing backwards should a pump fail or just be turned off. It was a tight fit with close tolerances and took several attempts to get it right.

Good clearance from the fabric sides and from the wiring.


Then on to the wings. I had to plug the front fuel ports as I am not going to use then initially. Most builders do not because of the added complexity to the fuel system. I did however want to have the correct fittings installed in the event I ever choose to use the ports. So, I installed the finger strainers and then the correct AN-6 to NPT fitting for my system. Then put a cap on it to seal it. Should I ever choose to use the port I just need to take the cap off and add the fuel line.

After completing this on both wings I moved on to installing the fuel gauges and fittings for the rear ports that I will be using.

Right rear port and brass fitting for the fuel gauge.

Right upper fuel gauge fitting. The open port is for a vent line I've yet to make or install.

Looking at the left wing fuel gauge temp installed.

Here it is with the wing folded back. No clamps on it yet. Was just getting the fitting correct. There is a copper wire heavy gauge inside to give it some rigidity and to stop the sloshing effect, this will give a better reading.

Here you can see clearly the wire inside. Waiting for the clamp to arrive to finish this up.

Last but not least, I tightened up the return fitting for the header tanks. The capped off fitting is for the future use of the front ports in the fuel tanks.

 The forward facing fitting that is unused is for the vent line yet to be installed.