Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Fuel System

Installed the vent lines and made the final fuel line connections today. Once everything was hooked up, I poured a three gallon mix of distilled water and denatured alcohol into the tanks to test for leaks. I let the mixture sit for several days and was able to make a loop at the firewall so I could run my fuel pumps. This pumped the mixture up to the fuel sensors (not through them) and back to the header tanks. Doing this allowed me to test the cockpit lines under pressure (both pumps running). I did have a couple of leaks so it was fortunate that I was running this mixture instead of fuel.

Over several days I was able to fix all the leaks and run it without issue. I let it set several more days leak free before draining the system of the mixture. The denatured alcohol will help the water evaporate out. Once I put fuel in it, I'll be testing the engine over many days and will for certain eliminate any moisture left in the system.