Saturday, April 9, 2022

Tail, Doors, Fuel Placards

Busy day back at work. I started the day installing the bushing and Jesus bolt for the elevator.It was a tight fit and took quite a few attempts. Even a trip to Lowe's for some magnets. I dropped the bolt in the tail section several times while trying to install it. Very limited access to the very rear part of the tail. Getting a strong magnet was very helpful in grabbing the bolt and sliding it to a point where I could retrieve it. Again, a couple of hours later I got it done. I then decided to mount the plexiglass inspection covers for the tail that I had previously made. I holes that I had cut previously were not of the correct shape or in the correct position. So, I had to fabricate new ones. These covers make checking the tail connections really easy. They came out pretty good and I got them installed and checked off the list.

Next, I finished off the brakes by installing the cotter pins in the pedals. Nothing fancy, just installed them and torque striped them.


Then on to the required fuel placards. I received the placards last week but went out of town before I got around to installing them. I had to remove the fuel tank covers to clean and prep them so, I did one side at a time. As usual, James at Aerographics in Colorado made these up for me. I sent him a rough sketch of what I wanted and he took care of the rest. The top of the wings are really dirty, lots of dust on them.

Last, I installed the door/window lift struts. This required rerouting the electrical cables from the wings so the lift strut nut/bolt would not make contact when in the closed position. I have to cut new door plexiglass as I messed up on the original pieces. I'll get them cut and installed this next Monday.



I also checked the fit of the door locks. I'll install them once the plexi is installed.