Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Exaust System

I ordered some 2" 321 Stainless 90 degree tubes and a flex joint for the exhaust system. While waiting for that stuff to arrive, I had to come up with a way to mount the muffler (Burns Stainless, CA), and decided to hang it from brackets bolted to the tubing where the brake pedals are. Being a SuperSTOL, I can't attach the muffler to the landing gear as they do with the Highlander's. So, I cut a couple of steel brackets and drilled them for Adele clamps, sliced the fabric, pushed them through and attached the Adele clamps. Then I cut a couple of pieces of thick rubber to use as hangars/cushions for the muffler. 

When the tubing arrived my friend Vernon Rich gave up his Easter Sunday to come fab up the exhaust system with me. We spent the morning into early afternoon cutting and tacking up the exhaust. He took the tacked pieces back to his shop and finished welding it all together that afternoon. I picked it up and confirmed the final fit that evening. Many thanks to Vern!