Saturday, January 29, 2022

Backup Battery, Trim Tab, Tail Light, Flap Stripe

Back from our quick trip to Colorado and I'm back at it.

My friend Terry is flying his 40hrs off in his Kitfox and has discovered a few issues. He had a bad battery/alternator/wiring problem that showed he couldn't run the fuel pumps if/when the battery fails. This means an automatic engine shutdown. So, he has installed a second battery to alleviate this issue. Since we have almost identical setups I decided to add the battery to mine now. Not the easiest to get in the back and add but it needed to be done and I have the spot for all of it.

I started by making a bracket then mounted the battery and box to it.


Battery and box temporarily mounted to the bracket.

Next was to install the bracket to the fuselage using Adel clamps. It sits opposite the Comm 2 radio and above the ELT. After it's installed and I'm happy with the fitment, I'll take it out and get it to powder coat tomorrow.

The solenoid also needs a home. There is just the right spot on the servo tray.

Solenoid installed.

Next up was getting the trim push rod adjusted for full throws without binding. I needed to cut the horns down about a 1/16th of an inch off each one. I also needed to enlarge the push rod opening in the back of the cover for clearance. After I had the trim tab moving to each stop without binding, I installed the cotter pins and buttoned it up. DONE.

Next up was finishing tape on the tail light. DONE.


 Last for today was to finish the stripe on the left flap and get the left wing all trimmed up. DONE.