Sunday, June 2, 2019

Left Wing Fuel Tank - Bottom Cover

Again, as I did on the right wing, I installed the bottom cover for the fuel tank. First thing was to mark all the rivets that I need to drill out. Once marked I began to replace each marked rivet with a rivnut.

The process is, drill the rivet out with a #30 bit, change the bit to a 3/16" and drill the hole out to the larger size. Check to make sure the rivnut fits. Debur the hole. Use an air gun to blow any debris out. Set the rivnut with locktite. Move on to the next rivet.
Once all the rivnuts were in place it was time to position the bottom cover. I used cleco clamps to hole the piece in place while I measured the corners. I adjusted the panel until it was in the correct position. I then used a #30 hole finder to locate the screw holes and drill them out. Once I had the four opposite corners drilled out, I screwed the panel in place to holed it while I used the hole finder to drill out all the other holes.
After all the holes were drilled I trimmed the panel to size and finished by putting the compression bends on the three sides.