Monday, October 19, 2020

Slat Arms

I installed the slat arms on the wings to check fit and function before sending them off to be powder coated. I'm changing the color from gray to matte black. I discovered one of the arms was not functioning correctly and binding. I determined that it was due to the inner bearing not seating into it's cup. This posed a real problem because there was no easy way to ream the cup after the wing was built. To compound the problem, I ran into the same problem on the slats themselves. Five of the eight interior bearing cups on the slats were in need of reaming too.

So, after bypassing this problem for at least a month I decided to tackle it. I came up with a simple solution. I found an under size socket that would fit in the bearing cup leaving enough space to super glue a strip of 80 grit sandpaper around it. I wasn't sure the super glue would hold the sandpaper. but it did.


A small video showing the dog bones working properly after reaming.