Monday, April 8, 2019

Seat Harness Install

I marked and drilled two 1/4" holes in the two gussets on the upper frame of the baggage area for the upper attach points for the seat harnesses. Once the holes were drilled I deburred them.

Again the manual is of little help here. It doesn't specify how this is to go together. It only lists the (AN4-6A) bolt, but doesn't specify the washer(s) or nut nor does it explain about the bushing (supplied with the harness). So, my first instinct was to do it as in the 1st pic with a couple of big washers and although it might work, it  didn't look correct. Then, I assembled it like the 4th pic and texted it to Jak at the factory and asked it that was correct. He said yes. So I assembled them accordingly.

So the parts for the top attachment are: (1) AN4-6A bolt, (1) bushing, (1) AN970-10 washer and (1) AN 428A lock nut per bracket.
At some point the factory stopped mounting the lower seat belts to the actual seat and started mounting them via cables to the fuselage frame behind the seats. Of course, the manual is light on instructions of how to do this. It states to cut a 7ft piece of 1/8" cable into four equal parts along with the nylon tubing. It doesn't call out the part numbers of either or the specific length of the cables, but it does tell you to cut the nylon tubing into 4 equal 6" pieces.

Actually, after locating some pics from other builds on the net, it looks like the total length of the finished cables should be between 7 to 10". So, I guessed that the cable pieces should be about 12" in length and I cut my nylon pieces about 8" each. No mention of part # regarding the thimbles to be used but it does state "use the bushings provided inside the thimbles to  act as a spacer so the belt can rotate freely." The bushings will not fit inside the thimbles? I think what was meant was to use the bushings inside the belt bracket which is sandwiched by a thimble on each side, then a large washer on the outside of each thimble? How many bushings are to be used? Seven are provided with each harness. So far,I've used one on the top bracket and one on each lower side for a total of three. Where do the other four bushings go?

Based on my best guesstimate, I gathered the materials to make up the four lower seat belt cables. I cut four lengths of 1/8" cable (approx. 12" each), four lengths of 5/16" nylon tubing (approx. 8" each), gathered eight tin swages, eight thimbles, and cut eight lengths of shrink tubing.
I swaged one end of the cut cable using a swage and thimble. I taped up the exposed end of the cable past the swage and slid a piece of shrink tubing over the swage followed by sliding a length of nylon tubing over the cut cable into the shrink tubing up to the swagged end. Once all the pieces were in place, I used the heat gun to shrink the pieces together. I then assembled the other end with the various pieces and swagged that end and finished with the heat gun. This effectively made a short cable with thimbles on either end as shown in the pics. I continued to repeat the process for the three other cables.
The manual does not call out the correct size bolt, number of washers, or nut. "Use the bushings provided inside the thimbles to act as a spacer so the belt can rotate freely. Use AN970-4 washers on each side." So, I guessed at a AN4-13A bolt, one bushing, two AN970-4 washers and an AN -428 lock nut. Waiting to hear back from the factory to see if my guess is correct...