Wednesday, April 10, 2019

MOD - Tail Light

I saw this on Trent Palmer's Kitfox and thought I would like to do it too. So, I sourced the tail light housing kit from Kitfox. I knew when I ordered the kit that it would not fit out of the box on my SuperSTOL. I ordered the kit anyway and the SunTail Light/Strobe from AeroLED's. The SunTail fits perfectly as the housing was designed for it. However, as suspected the housing did not fit.

There were a couple of problems. First, the Kitfox has a flying rudder which means it has airfoil shaped ribs in the rudder. The housing accommodates this by having angled "wings" that mimic the shape of the airfoil ribs. The SuperSTOL does not have airfoil shaped ribs, instead it has a flat rudder. Second, the rudder trailing edges of both airplanes are different meaning the milled angled cut in the housing does not match the SuperSTOL trailing edge which puts the light and "wings" of the housing pointing at the wrong angle. So, I had to figure out how to correct these problems.

The first task was to correct the overall angle of the unit when fitted to the trailing edge of the rudder. I decided to file the milled angles in the housing to fit the trailing edge of the SuperSTOL rudder. Using a large round file and after much filing, I had the correct overall angle of the housing for the rudder. The housing matched the angle of the trailing edge of the rudder as well as the rib angle and consequently had the light pointing in the correct direction.

Second, I had to figure out how to bend the "wings" in to match the flat rudder profile. This was accomplished by cutting off each wing on my band saw and sanding a beveled edge into it on a disc sander. The bevels effectively straightened out the housing matching the straight rudder rib profile. This took quite a bit of effort to get the angles as close as I could, not perfect, but close enough.

The next task was to epoxy them back to the housing. Being that the housing is glass filled nylon, it is hollow or somewhat hollow as you can see in the pics. Actually, this is good because it allowed me to embed some Hysol into the pieces which made the joints much stronger than had they been just smooth. Of course, the down side is it added more weight.