Thursday, July 2, 2020

Panel Progress

I received the hardware I was waiting for to complete the install of the panel sides. I had to drill and dimple the side door pieces to accept the countersunk lock plates. I then riveted them in place and drilled out the panel sides to accept the 3/16" AN3-5 bolts. I then mounted the panel using the bolts, it fit perfectly, very sturdy with all six bolts in place. I will still anchor the "stack" in the center to the air frame which will make it all very rigid. To go a step further, I plan to Hysol the inside door frame pieces to the vertical fame for added strength.
I'm beginning to mock up the "boxes" that will mount behind the panel on a tray or trays. These boxes are the behind the scenes magic that brings all the electronics together. I have to figure out a way to mount them that will be convenient to route all the necessary wires as well as providing access for maintenance in the future.

So, to begin I am trying to figure out just how big a tray will be necessary? Will multiple trays be necessary or even wanted? How should the components be arranged? Is there a "perfect" configuration providing the shortest runs required to complete the connections? As well as other considerations.

After talking with my wiring guy, I think this layout will work well. If not, we can make any changes as we go. The boxes are: VPX PRO (electronic circuits), GEA-24 (Engine Instruments), GAD -29 (Bus Interpreter), GDL-51R (Sirius/XM Receiver), GD-40 (Carbon Monoxide Alarm), and a TCW Backup Battery. This is what I have come up with so far. The cardboard is representative of the tray with the length being cut off at the marker line just past the battery. The orientation would have the black box (Sirius/XM receiver) in the first pic on the firewall side and the battery on the left side of the cockpit. The box on the right side is the GEA-24 (engine instruments) and the box on the top of the pic is the GAD-29 (interpreter).
From the right side - GEA-24
Looking forward from the cockpit - GAD-29 and Backup Battery.
The red box is the VPX Pro Electronic Circuits
The black box on top is the GD-40 Carbon Monoxide Alarm
 At this time, I think the VPX Pro and GD-40 will mount on the underside of the tray making for a very compact grouping of components which are all tied together. Now to fabricate the tray and start mounting the components. Then I'll have to figure out how to mount the tray in the aircraft...